Sunday, September 18, 2005


This was written early last Spring before everyone flipped out over this book. Let's hear your thoughts on the book...
BOOK REVIEW
Comments on Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
I just finished reading Donald Miller’s Blue Like Jazz. The book was given to me several weeks ago by a very dear friend of mine. So, half because I respect her opinion, and half because the book did look interesting, I began to read it. The first few chapters were a bit slow but eventually the book did pick up I found myself really enjoying the text in many places. Jazz was very refreshing and entertaining. I feel like part of the reason for this enjoyment was the fact that this was the first book I have read outside of school in quite a while and to read under no scholastic pressure is the best kind of reading. Eventually however, I became extremely annoyed with the book. I saw Donald Miller as an annoying character in his stories and it seemed to me that he spoke with too much confidence on the topics that he addressed. In the end I began to see him as a 2005 version of John Eldridge that thought he was “cool and tough” because he smoked a pipe. Now, the book is not all bad. Miller does have some good things to say and is very talented at putting words together, but he bases truth on a few of his experiences. Truth cannot be solely based on one man’s life experiences; I am glad that Mr. Miller seems to be at peace with himself, but all of our experiences are different and God’s plans are very unique. If you have been considering reading this book do so it is a pretty quick read but approach with it with caution and be careful not to put too much water in to Miller’s narrow minded thoughts.
Blue Like Jazz – C/C-

3 Comments:

At Monday, September 19, 2005 8:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, so let me just say that the last sentence of that review was right on. It is actually true about everything you read and hear. This is my soap box on books and people's reaction to them.....Don't judge a book by it's cover. Duh. But what I mean is, people try to sum up the worth of a book by finding one major theme which is usaually generalized to the point of being ridiculous. I promise that the author desires that you get more out of the book than "major theme". For example...I Kissed Dating Goodbye.

Horror! Shame! Run for your dating life......! That is the response most people have to this book. I think it's because they read the title and go into reading the book....if they even get that far....with a presupposed theme. I read the book and it taught me alot. It didn't teach me that dating is from the devil and that courting is the only right way to fall in love. That's ridiculous. It did teach me that wheather or not I'm dating someone, he is still my brother in Christ. He is my brother above being my boyfriend. It reminded me that I don't want to give my heart to a billion men before i even meet my husband. ect......

Anyways, I digress. My point is that you should approach everything you read with caution. Donald Miller is not the authority on Truth. John Piper isn't either. They both have amazing wisdom that we can learn from, but ultimate everything we read and hear needs to be measured against scripture. That is how we measure the worth of a man's writings and teachings. If they are found to line up with the Truth of God's word than it is worth keeping in your mind. If not, then we need to throw it aside.

I find that it is hard for me to throw things aside once I start to really trust a source other than scripture. Things I have learned in the church or from a piper book or whatever, if I find scripture that disproves those things I still cannot let them go. I mean, it's what I have been taught for 20+ years. It must be true.

That is where we have to be careful and ask for the discernment of the Holy Spirit in order to see truth. It's not true just because you've never learned otherwise. Check the Word. It is true and right....

 
At Monday, September 26, 2005 1:29:00 PM, Blogger Adrian Blackney said...

I really enjoyed it. Wasn't necessarily a huge fan of his follow-up however.

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:20:00 PM, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Honestly, I am really disappointed with ya'll. What the heck?! Ya'll start a blog and then NEVER write on it. I demand more! MORE, I said!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home